Just. Do something nice.

– Posted in: family business, mitchell, motherhood, new house

Hi you! And a hundred thousand welcomes to my new site, this new place: Little White Whale.

Except it’s not really new.

I mean, content is all the same. And of course, I’m still me. Once upon a time (like as of a year ago) I had a blog titled Little White Whale. But I wanted to try something new and so I began blogging with the name The Sunday Spill. I missed Little White Whale each day after.

Turned out to be one of those “don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone” things. What to do? I bought sarah-reinhart.com and now I’m officially back to LWW. I really feel like I’m home. No more switching sites around. Sarah-reinhart.com is it. I am here to stay. Long live Little White Whale!

Want to hear the back story for this place? I swear I heard you say yes. Find it in the about section at the top of the page or click here.  Also, have you liked LWW’s facebook page? It’s an easy way for us to stay connected and I do want to stay connected with you.

Without further ado, a short story….

************************************

Leo has piano every Wednesday after school. His lesson is long enough that the rest of us can’t just hang out in a parked minivan. Thirty minutes in a still vehicle with Gus, Matilda, and Oscar–that’s just asking for what’s left of my sanity by 4 o’clock to poof! Vanish. Up in smoke. Like so:

photo DSC_9457_zps9866aaf5.jpg

But thirty minutes is also short enough that it wouldn’t make sense to drive all the way home either. So. We must must must find things to do.

When the weather is okay-ish, we head to Big Rock.

This Wednesday the weather was kind of cold, but okay-ish and Big Rock is where we went.

We had the park to ourselves. I love having a park to ourselves.

photo DSC_0101_zpsdd2b838d.jpg
 photo DSC_0119_zpsfdfdd834.jpg
 photo DSC_0125_zps4a801109.jpg
 photo DSC_0132_zps9239ad69.jpg
 photo DSC_0136_zpsa61a6aee.jpg
 photo DSC_0133_zpsc10eae9f.jpg

Before I knew it people were all like We’re cold. We can’t feel our hands. Can we get back in the car?

And I was all YOU BET.

We passed the rest of the evening in a non-descript way. Except, that is to say, when Mitchell got home.

I said we’d had pretty good day, but what about him?

Mitchell said actually it was a pretty horrible day. The job site at our new house had been robbed. Our framers’ tools which were in our house under a tarp had been stolen. Because of that the framers had to file a police report and spend the day working on getting new tools and consequently no work had been done on our house. Another day behind. Another day lost. Sigh for the framers. Sigh for us.

Just sigh.

At first I was angry. I wanted to say THANKS A LOT YOU STUPID THIEF or THIEVES. And also, don’t you know it’s Christmas time? Why are you stealing a week out from Christmas? And also, I AM PREGNANT AND I AM PLANNING ON HAVING THIS BABY IN THAT HOUSE. How in the world is it ever going to get out of the framing stage if we keep having setbacks like THIS. And maybe I thought, SCREW YOU thief. Or thieves.

But as I sat eating my chicken tacos that I happened to have timed perfectly ready with Mitchell’s arrival home (so rare) –I eventually thought no. No, I don’t want to feel angry.

Matilda wanted another dollop of sour cream. Oscar wanted to sit on my lap. Gus needed more water. Leo asked to be excused from the table. Okay, okay, okay and okay. And I thought no, I don’t want to feel angry. I won’t keep this cycle going. Bad doesn’t need to bring about more bad. I thought Damn these chicken tacos are hitting the spot.

Then I thought, I know what.

I know what I’ll do. Tomorrow I will do something nice for someone else. Something kind. I’m going to booty bump, shift shake, spin this thing back towards the positive end. Raise the vibration. Hallelujah and amen.

Just. Do something nice.

That’ll make me feel better.

That’s what I will do.

photo DSC_0124_zps8687deb3.jpg

Looking forward to tomorrow and something good. I wonder what it will be.

photo 6DA469A94323D01E3296CAEB39195D46_zpsd324941e.png

Sarah

Sarah

I'm mom to four and expecting our fifth child in May 2014. Five years ago I put down the key to my middle school classroom and picked up a camera instead. Now a part time photographer and freelance writer, I blog to share our stories and the joy I find as I go. For more on my abundance seeking philosophy, check out my piece on The Huffington Post
Sarah
Sarah
Sarah

Latest posts by Sarah (see all)

18 Comments… add one

Kristin Shaw
Twitter:
December 19, 2013, 4:18 am

I just adore you and your lovely attitude and everything you stand for! xo
Kristin Shaw recently posted…This is forty-threeMy Profile

Alison
Twitter:
December 19, 2013, 7:23 am

I love your new look!

Nice always wins. ALWAYS.
Alison recently posted…Where I’m From (Again)My Profile

Cheryl
Twitter:
December 19, 2013, 12:09 pm

Oh, I love this idea of doing something nice in the face of not-nice. I need to remember this. Angry is a state I hate being in, but it\’s often an easy default. I try to remember that angry is a choice, but I love the idea of taking it one step further and conquering it with nice. Thank you for this post. And congrats on your new and lovely blog home!
Cheryl recently posted…Bronzed loveMy Profile

Kerstin
Twitter:
December 19, 2013, 2:29 pm

Sarah, I love this!We had a day like that yesterday and you inspired me to turn it around today. xoxox

Kim
Twitter:
December 19, 2013, 3:18 pm

I love that you didn’t let it stick. Love that. Because sometimes stuff like that can stick and drag and not come off right away. Not only did you not let it stick, but you are turning it around. Awesome. (Know what else is awesome? Your new digs! YAY, LWW!)
Kim recently posted…Running Standing StillMy Profile

Leighann
Twitter:
December 19, 2013, 3:47 pm

you are an inspiration. I am watching you and learning. Next time I feel anger I am turning that bus right around and doing something nice.
Leighann recently posted…From 3 to 23My Profile

Jennifer December 19, 2013, 4:09 pm

You are an amazingly kind and wonderful person. It would be very hard for me to move from that bad, bad, bad to good. That is a wonderful skill you have there missy.
Jennifer recently posted…It’s okay to be sad at ChristmasMy Profile

Sarah December 21, 2013, 8:01 pm

Jennifer, thank you. Means a lot coming from someone whom I think is a wise lady :) xx.

Elaine A.
Twitter:
December 19, 2013, 4:54 pm

Sarah. You are SUCH a light. I have to think when something like that happens, that although HORRIBLE, the good WILL come back around. I see you feel that way too. Your outlook should be an inspiration to us all. Love these photos, especially those eyes on little O! :D

Sarah December 21, 2013, 8:00 pm

thanks Elaine. stop making me blush though. xo.

Lady Jennie
Twitter:
December 19, 2013, 8:18 pm

Sigh. I love being here. :-)

Next time I will choose not to be angry too – inspired by you!
Lady Jennie recently posted…Marché de NoelMy Profile

Sarah December 21, 2013, 8:00 pm

aw Jennie, thanks. it isn’t always easy is it? sometimes though i’m just over being angry before it really has a chance to set in. life’s short.

erin margolin
Twitter:
December 19, 2013, 11:24 pm

I love your new digs. And this post. How you do nice things. I’mma spread the word, yo. I’ve been shooting for #ROAK lately, and need to make it a more regular/routine thing, no matter how small the act.

xoxoxo

Sarah December 21, 2013, 7:59 pm

thanks erin! we can do good things together. xx.

Alma December 20, 2013, 4:10 am

Love your little white whale home here, so cozy. So glad I came I was feeling down. You are right it feels like coming home for me. *sigh* You know how to see the good in a bad situation. Thanks :) for making me feel better

Sarah December 21, 2013, 7:58 pm

Thanks Alma. I’m sorry you were feeling down though. hopefully as I type this you’re already uplifted in some way. xx.

Sarah December 22, 2013, 10:13 am

test
Sarah recently posted…Dear Cupcake at 20 weeks My Profile

Brian Naennals February 1, 2014, 11:54 am

You are such an inspiration and a wonderful mum to your lovely kids.
Brian Naennals recently posted…The reviewMy Profile